
The holiday season has passed by in a blur. Southern got so many new toys, we are already wondering what we'll do after his first birthday! Dustin asked me if I thought it would be improper to ask for money for Southern's savings account instead of toys on the invitations!! haha Little does my hubby know that it is just beginning. We are soon going to have toys in every room of the house. ;)
We started off the Christmas festivities with a small celebration at our house with Granny Ehlers, her sister Suzie, and Carly and Parker. There was too much drama this year to have our usual Ehlers Christmas at Granny E's house. Oh well, we had a good time. And Southern got to learn how to rip paper. He proceeded to practice this new skill on Daddy's magazines during the following week.
Our next Christmas was at my Granny Hahn's in Yoakum. Southern got to meet his two little cousins on that side of the family for the first time, one of which was born when Southern was 5 weeks old. It was really fun to see those two guys interact. As I've mentioned before, my grandfather there has cancer. He was given 3 months to live by his doctor. It's now been about 3-4 years, so we were very blessed to share another Christmas with him.
We then had 4 Christmases in 3 days. Christmas Eve was spent in Yoakum as well. We had lunch at Dori and Allen's house followed by supper at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Southern really enjoyed spending time with his two little boy cousins there as well. They are 4 and 3 years old. The last time he hung out with them, he was too young to play. This time, he was crawling around on the floor with them and hugging and patting on them.
Christmas Day was spent back at home. My dad came over, we had a quick lunch, and then we opened presents. He got Southern a little John Deere 4-wheeler to ride around on. (Don't worry, it's not motorized!) When Southern's able to balance himself, he can sit on it and scoot all over the house. We got him a Teddy Ruxpin that I had found for an awesome price during an after-Christmas clearance at Costco last December. We also got him a swing outside. It's shaped like a little race car. Southern absolutely loved it. His face just lit up when we put him in it for the first time and gave him a push. Since that day, I have taken him out on it only one more time (since been he's sick, I didn't want him out in the cold for too long). But he would laugh out loud as I would swing him, and he started screaming bloody murder when I pried his little frozen fingers off of the ropes to try to take him back inside. His little cries were saying, "noooo, Mommy, not yet - I want to swing longer!".
The day after Christmas, we had our last celebration as we had to cancel the one planned for Sunday. My mom, Josh, and his boys came over. Southern scored the mother load this time. I think he had more presents to open that day than all of his other Christmases combined! haha He just loved it. He was playing around in the paper, crawling all over the place, and was given lots of new playthings to keep him occupied. Dustin and I can't complain though. We got a really nice gift too. But most of all, I loved being able to get together with loved ones. We don't get around to visiting family in Yoakum as often as we used to now that little Southern takes up so much of our time. So it was really good to see everyone. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment