Monday, November 30, 2009

A long night/morning

We took Southern to see Santa and to get a picture with him yesterday. It was a good outing, we got a great photo, and Southern enjoyed the day. Unfortunately, I think being around all those kids got Southern sick. It all started late last night...

Our day was thrown a little off schedule due to our trip to San Antonio. We got Southern to bed around 1am. It was fairly easy to get him to sleep, and Dustin and I went to bed shortly after that. Around 2:30am, I heard crying. Southern was awake. I put him back to sleep and went back to bed. Then around 4:30am, I could hear crying again. This time it was frantic. Southern was just beside himself. I've never seen him cry so hard. He wouldn't eat and didn't want to rock. Dustin finally got up and turned on the light. He started playing with a ball in front of Southern. That calmed him down a little, but he was still sniffling and clinging to me. Not like himself at all. (Note to all of my non-mom readers. Next sentence gets graphic.) Then he started coughing and coughed up a very large gooey mucus mess. Poor baby. We then gave him Motrin and Dustin went back to bed. I stayed up and played with Southern until he calmed down enough to eat and go back to sleep.

The next thing I know, it's 7:27am, and I am woken up. Dustin leaped out of bed and started cursing. He runs into the hallway and curses more, very loudly. What's going on, I ask. Then I notice the time. Dustin has to be at work at 7:30am. Oops. One of his alarms then goes off while he's getting dressed. I turn it off only to hear Southern starting to cry. All that yelling woke him up. I go to him to rock him back to sleep. Meanwhile, I can hear Dustin pounding down the stairs and going out the front door. Southern finally falls back asleep, and I am just about to put him in his crib when I hear Dustin's other alarm go off in our bedroom. Great... It goes off for about 5 minutes straight before I am able to sit Southern down in his crib without him waking up. I run to our bedroom to turn it off then climb into bed. I'm exhausted. But then I start to think. I didn't remember hearing the alarm being armed again before Dustin left. He normally turns it back on for us. So I make my way downstairs to check. Turns out that not only is the alarm disarmed, the front door is also unlocked!

So I lock it, set the alarm, and go back to bed. I am then woken up 1.5 hours later by the phone. It was a 1-800 number so I didn't answer. But the ringing phone woke Southern up. So we go through the whole thing again, this time in my bed because I am just too tired to sit upright anymore. Southern and I get about 2 good hours of sleep in before the phone rings again. Bummer. We finally get up to start the day, and I realize that it feels really cold in our house. Dustin had said he would make sure the heat was turned on before leaving for work. I go to the thermostat to find it set to AC, and the temp was 64! No wonder it felt cold!! haha

Southern and I are both feeling under the weather now, me from lack of sleep and the cold. He seems to have a cold and is sneezing, has a runny nose, and is coughing. Let's hope we both feel better soon. And thank goodness this morning is finally over! Whew!!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

whew, what a hard night. :( I hope you guys feel better soon, being sick is no fun, I am sick of being sick right now!! And burrr....it sure is COLD out!