Last night we went to our Caring for Mom/Caring for Baby class. Dustin was super sleepy and didn't feel like going, but this class ended up being the most interesting one so far. The same lady that taught our breastfeeding class last week, the lactation consultant for the hospital, was the one who taught this one. She's very smart and fun to listen to. I'm hoping Southern will come during normal business hours so we'll get to work with her at the hospital! The class went over things we need to watch out for health-wise with me post-pardum and all the things we need to know about the hospital. She suggested pre-registering. I did that when I went in for my dietitian appointment, so I'm already set. And she talked about caring for our babies once we had them home.
She also went over the visitor's policy and security. Apparently that floor is tight with security. So anyone coming to visit will be asked who they're going to see before they'll unlock the doors for you. Also, no children under 14 will be allowed in at all. (Sorry to those of you with kids under 14 wanting to visit. You'll just have to come without them.) They put matching numbered arm bands on mom and baby so no babies get in the wrong families. They also put alarm sensors on the baby's ankle. It will trigger the alarm if the baby gets too close to the stairwells or exits. When the alarm goes off, all the doors are automatically locked and the police are notified. Also, everyone that's allowed to work with your baby has a different colored name tag than the rest of the hospital staff. So all the moms can feel secure giving their baby to the nurse knowing it's the correct person for the job. They encourage in-rooming, which is what I wanted, and the only time the baby is taken to the nursery is for his first bath and shots, and during shift changes at 7am and 7pm. The nurses going off-duty let the nurses coming on know the particulars about the babies they are in charge of, and then they bring them back to the rooms.
I'll be in a birthing suite during labor and delivery. Then once the baby is born, the hospital has what's called the golden hour. So for all the people wanting to see the baby right away, you'll have to wait. Sorry! During the first 60 mins or so of the baby's life, it will just be mom and dad with him. That's the time for bonding and the first breastfeeding session. After that hour, the baby is taken to the nursery. This is when all the people waiting can see him. Dustin will also be able to go out and watch. I'll be using that time to shower and get cleaned up. They'll also take me to another room at this time. The nursery has a whole wall of windows, so everyone can watch the nurses bathing Southern and giving him his vitamin K shot. Then they'll bring him back to me in our new room.
Visiting hours are from 10am-2pm and 4pm-8pm. From 2-4pm is what they call 'rest and breast time'. It's siesta time for mom and baby as well as a guaranteed time for the baby to feed in private. Also, they recommend that not all of the family and friends come visit right away. Obviously, I'll be super tired. And the baby will be just getting used to his new world. I'll be in the hospital for 24-48 hours, so this should allow enough time for people to spread out their visits a little. We'll want our parents and siblings to be there right away though... Or should I say Southern's grandparents and aunt/uncle?!? ;)
She also taught us how to swaddle, diaper, burp, and bathe the baby. We got to practice on little plastic babies. So cute! And we just happened to get a boy baby so that was good. We were taught the 'peak and cover' technique when changing a baby boy's diaper. She said that most people aren't taught that and have to live and learn with the sprinkler system effect! haha :) So I'm glad we got that lesson a little early.
It was so much fun. That class made me so excited knowing that our baby is almost here. I want him now! The Lamaze classes, however, leave me with a 'now why didn't we just adopt' feeling... watching those crazy videos, talking about how much pain labor will be, possible emergency c-sections, IVs, pelvic bones stretching, possible tears, etc. But this class reminded me why women go through all of this work. I'm so excited to meet our little guy :)
We have another Lamaze class tonight, by the way, but this one should be pretty interesting because we get to tour the birthing center of the hospital. Hopefully there won't be any women screaming in pain while we're there!!
No comments:
Post a Comment