Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Love Dare - Day 1

This post isn't about our sweet little boys. But it will definitely affect our sweet little boys. Dustin and I are working on our marriage. And as I told him, that doesn't mean we're having problems or trouble, it just means that we are growing and bettering ourselves as a couple.

We watched the movie Fireproof a few years ago. I think it was when Southern was really young or when he wasn't even born yet. But it was a great movie, and I've always wanted Dustin to do The Love Dare on me. I brought it up here and there over the past few years, but it wasn't ever met with much enthusiasm. Then a couple weeks ago, just to see if they had it, I searched the library's website to see if they had the book "The Love Dare" from the movie. They did! I checked it out, and sprang it on Dustin. "Here you go, look what I got you! Now you can do The Love Dare for me!!" Just his look told me that it probably wasn't going to happen. Bummer. So I started reading it myself.

In the movie Fireproof, the husband does The Love Dare on his wife to win her over. It's sweet and romantic, and I wanted that for me. But as I was reading the book, it would say "your spouse" instead of "your wife". That got me to thinking - I could do it to Dustin! There's no reason the wife can't do it for her husband. And just as I was saying that to him, I had an even better idea. We would both do it for each other at the same time! Yes!!

So we snuggled up on the couch last night (after the kids were tucked away in bed), and I opened up the book. I read aloud the first few pages and the dare for day one. It didn't seem that hard. All we would have to do is not say anything negative to each other all day. So we both went to bed feeling happy, and today was a success!

We spent most of the day apart since Dustin had work. But when we were together, we each remembered to bite our tongues when it was necessary. The highlight for me was when Dustin opened up the coupon pouch in the car as I was driving... tons of tiny slips of paper rained down everywhere as the coupons scattered around. His first reaction was, "Did you put these coupons up like this?!?!" I responded with, "Remember the dare, honey." He answered through gritted teeth, "It's no problem. No problem at all, honey." as he reached onto the floor, between the seats, etc. gathering up the coupons. Haha!

I can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring --- Dustin has a day off of work, and we'll be together all day!

No comments: