Saturday, January 28, 2012

Southern's name

When we named Southern, we talked about expecting people to question or make a joke from his name when first hearing it. We didn't think of mis-pronunciation problems though!
At first, we got the inevitable, So where's Northern? Good one.. And Was he born in the Southern? Umm... technically, he was born in the Southwestern region of the United States.

But now I'm noticing more mis-pronouncing. It's not as annoying as the "jokes". I find it amusing and wanted to share.

One of Southern's great grandmothers will call him Soufern sometimes. She'll get real close to his face, smile at him, and say "I loves you, Soufern". :)

A young playmate we recently spent time with was calling him Soudern. As in, Dang-nabbit, that turn was so soudern, I 'bout near dropped my Spam!

And Southern himself can't pronounce it correctly yet. He says Sousern. My dad will sometimes tease him by calling him that. Then Southern will tell him, "No, Sousern". Haha!

No comments: