Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Boys will be boys

I've been told by many that having a son is a lot different than having a daughter. I've heard they're easier as babies, hard to control as toddlers, reckless during the teenage years, and that as adults they looove their mommies. I've also been told to expect a couple trips to the ER during his childhood. Well, today, at less than 2 years old, we had that first one.

I'll start off by saying that Southern is fine. He's a strong little guy, and he's feeling great right now.

Now on to the story... We drove to Newcombe's Tennis Ranch here in New Braunfels today to visit Dustin while he was at a tennis tournament with SHS. It is located on the north side of town, on the way to Boerne. So it was in the Texas Hill Country, and for those familiar with the THC, there is little grass, a lot of cedar, uneven topography, and a lot of rocks.. big, sharp limestone and/or granite rocks.

There was another little boy about 2 1/2 years old at Newk's, and right away he and Southern got to be friends. They were hanging out and playing together when Southern fell. And he fell right on a big, sharp rock. It punctured his forehead and started bleeding A LOT right away. I immediately ran to him, scooped him up, and ran toward the court where Dustin was standing. I screamed Dustin's name, and he came running. I just handed him over and told Dustin we needed to go to the emergency room. He started walking with him and I ran (literally, and it was no easy feet at this stage in the pregnancy) to get the car. I pulled up to them. Dustin put Southern in his car seat and hopped into the driver's seat as I climbed in the back to buckle Southern in as we started driving. By that time Southern had stopped crying for the most part, but the blood was still flowing. I mopped it up with a blanket and tried to distract Southern with Dustin's phone during the ride... and a ride it was! Dustin drove very quickly with his hazards on the whole way to the hospital, and we unbuckled and ran inside.

There was a short wait in the waiting room. Dustin used that time to show Southern a mirror and explain about blood (guess he was a born science teacher) while I tried to wipe up his hands a bit. They soon took us back, weighed Southern and took his temperature, and then lead us to a room. It seemed to take forever until someone came to see us. By that time Southern was bleeding pretty badly again so we used my mini-first aid kit from my purse to spray Neosporin and apply a Scooby Doo bandaid. Finally a nurse came to check on us. She looked in Southern's ears and nose, asked questions, checked out the wound, and then told us what they were going to do. Luckily, Southern had none of the warning signs - blacking out, vomiting, coughing, etc so she said all we would need were a few stitches and we'd be good to go.

So someone else came in to apply some numbing gel to his forehead. We would wait another 15 mins or so for that to set in, and then the nurse was going to come back to do the stitches. Well Southern hadn't finished his hamburger at lunch so I went out to the car to get his water and food. He was still happily munching down when the nurse came back with the stitches. We had to wait on him to finish his last bite, and then she wrapped him up like a burrito in a blanket. I laid down beside him while Dustin held his body, and she proceeded to put in three stitches. He was a trooper the whole time and didn't make a peep.

To reward him for his bravery, we stopped by Baskin Robbins on the way home. He loved it. We got him a little cup of strawberry ice cream, and he ate it up gladly. Once the bowl and spoon were licked clean, he put one hand up in the air with his first finger pointing up, and proclaimed "more!". :)

We're going to his doctor's on Friday for a check-up on it and will have the stitches removed Monday. They said we could give him Tylenol for the pain, but he has been acting so happy and normal, that I don't think it's even bothering him at all. I'm so thankful we made it through so well. It was pretty scary at first, but he's been so good through it all.

Below is a photo of the ride home... it was a long day, and with tummies full of ice cream, my boys were zonked out :)

No comments: