Tuesday, February 15, 2011

24 Weeks Along

Today Southern and I went to see my doctor about the new baby. I am 24 weeks along, and my next appointment is at 28 weeks. After that, it will be every 3 weeks until it's closer to due date and then every week. My appointment was originally set for 4:30pm so Dustin could take off of tennis a little early to be home to watch Southern. But they called yesterday to ask if we could move it up a couple hours. I said yes so long as I could bring my son along. Children aren't allowed in the sonogram room, but she said it would be fine to have him in the exam room with me since this visit would be relatively short.

Southern had fun playing with toys in the waiting room. He had a book with different farm animals in it, and he would moo, quack, neigh, bark, etc as he turned the pages. And he was quite loud so I'm sure the others in the waiting room enjoyed it ;) (I say that he inherited the Brandl lungs as Dustin, his granny, and his late great granny were/are all well heard... haha)

When the nurse called us back, he was excited. And the nurse was really nice and sweet to him. She weighed me and took my blood pressure all while talking to Southern. Then she took him out of the exam room to get a lollypop while I gave my urine sample. We waited quite awhile for the doctor again, and I am proud of how well Southern behaved. He was a little rowdy, but he didn't try to pull things out of cabinets, pull on cords, roll the stool around, etc. and we made it through. The doctor came in and asked some questions. Then it was time to measure the baby bump and listen to the heartbeat :)

I climbed on the bed. Southern stood to the side and watched as she lifted my shirt and measured my tummy. I'm at 27 cm. Then she got out the device to listen to the baby's heartbeat. As she was getting it out, she was telling Southern that we were going to hear the baby. Sure enough, his heartbeat was clear, loud, and strong at 141. As soon as we could hear it, Southern's mouth dropped open, he cupped his hands around his ears, and said "wow...."! :) He was so cute. I'm glad he was able to experience this.

I go back next month for the glucose test - fun, fun! I drink the yucky drink, wait one hour, and then get my blood drawn. At least it falls on a day during Spring Break so Dustin can stay home with Southern, and hey, maybe that hour in the waiting room will be the most relaxing part of my week - with both Dustin and Southern home all week things are bound to be loud and messy!

No comments: