Sunday, July 7, 2013

Lime Tree

I remember going over to Dustin's Wyatt grandparents' (Poppy and DeDe) house for lunch occassionally while we were in high school. They would usually have a salad before the meal, and they always had limes cut and out on the table to add to tea or water. But, I was a little surprised the first time I saw that. Their limes were orange! They had a lime tree in their side yard that was given to them when it was only a small plant by someone who had gotten theirs from Mexico (if I remember the story correctly). They taste just like normal limes, but they're orange. How cool is that?
 
Fast forward many years... Dustin and I get married, and the very next year, we move to a rental house in New Braunfels.
 
Upon that move, Poppy gave us a small pot with just a tiny little plant inside. It had a small amount of leaves and was only a few inches tall. He told us it was from his and DeDe's lime tree. What a nice gift!
 
Dustin with his grandparents Poppy and DeDe in front of their lime tree in March of 2008
So we had that little plant in the small pot at our rental house. Within a year, I had graduated college, and we were ready to buy a house. We bought our home in early 2008, and later that year, we were expecting a baby! Meanwhile, our little lime tree had outgrown the small plastic pot Poppy had given it to us in. We went out and bought a larger pot and had the lime tree on the front porch of our new house. Our tree was doing so well that I wanted to take a picture of it to show Poppy and DeDe. And then, I thought it would be fun to pose in front of the tree so that not only could we show the tree's progress to Poppy and DeDe, but we could one day show the picture to Southern and he could see just how small that tree was when I was pregnant with him.
 
Me in March of 2009, pregnant with Southern
Pretty soon our lime tree even outgrow the larger pot. It was time to plant. Unfortunately, Poppy passed away before we could do another pregnant picture in front of the lime tree (I was only 7 weeks along with Remington when he passed), but I thought DeDe would certainly enjoy seeing our lime tree. And, again, I thought it would be fun for our boys to see it's growth measured against theirs.

Lindsey with Southern in May of 2011, pregnant with Remington
And, in keeping the tradition alive, I have posed yet again in front of our "little" lime tree. 

Lindsey with Southern and Remington in July 2013, pregnant with Baylor
Can you believe how fast it has grown?

Thanks for the yummy limes, Poppy!

No comments: