Saturday, March 3, 2012

Tips from my Granny

Growing up, I was highly influenced by my grandparents as well as my parents. I spent many days in their care while my parents were working, and I learned a lot from them. At the time, I just took it for granted. But looking back, I am really thankful.

Here are some helpful tips I learned from my granny:

1) Keep a safety pin in your purse. If you ever need to take off your rings, merely slide them onto the safety pin, attach it to the inside of your purse, and you will never forget or lose them. Love this! I keep a safety pin attached to the hole in the zipper pull inside my purse and have used it - especially on beach trips!!

2) Spray a little perfume on your hair at the top of your head. Guys are taller than you, and this is what they'll smell first. So true! I do this before date night, and Dustin always notices that I smell good :)

3) When you've painted your nails, and you think they're just about dry, run them under cold water. How many times have you tested your drying nail polish only to get a fingerprint indention left behind? I know I have. So I make it a point to always run my nails under cold water now. I don't know why or how, but they are dry and firm immediately after.

More habits/lessons I learned from my granny:

- I pronounce wash with an 'r', as in warsh. I have my granny to thank for that :)
- I don't like to chew a whole stick of gum at a time. It's too much. I would always split a stick of gum with my granny before church, so I am used to only having half. I usually make Dustin split mine with me now.
- She taught me to polka. I've never had the occasion to use this particular skill, but I'll be sure that my boys can polka when they're a little older!
- My granny loved taking pictures to mark milestones - first day of school, etc. I saw this and wanted a camera at a early age. With my first roll of film, I tested my skills out on our chickens. My granny paid to get it developed and must have been suprised when she saw about 20 pictures of our chickens from different angles.

No comments: