Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

"Benign Paro-what?" That's what I was saying yesterday evening. And that's probably what you're thinking right now. Well...

Yesterday morning I woke up feeling awful. I was sooo tired, and the room was spinning. I felt nauseous. I wanted to just lay there all day. But Southern had jumped up in the bed with me and wanted to play. I tried talking to him, but when I opened my eyes, I was extremely dizzy. When I turned over to face him, I was even more dizzy. It was crazy. But I am a mother. The day must go on. I got up, got dressed, got Southern dressed, got Remington out of his crib and dressed. We made our way downstairs slowly with me holding on to the banister tightly as I carried Remington. I managed to make it to the couch. I breastfed Remington and told Southern to grab a bar from the pantry for himself and me. That was our breakfast.

I stayed on the couch until lunchtime. When the kids were getting too restless/hungry, I got back up. I used the couches and chairs for support as I walked. I was still super dizzy and felt like I needed to throw up. I put Remington in his high chair with some Cheerios and heated up some leftover pizza for me and Southern. I managed to keep a slice down, so I got a little adventurous. I heated up some leftover mac and cheese with a couple sausages. Bad idea. I ate about half and was soon in the bathroom face first into the toilet, using my arm to try to block a curious Remington from coming any closer.

That was just too much. My kids needed me, the house needed cleaning, and I couldn't even walk straight. I needed to go see a doctor! I called Dustin who got off early and rushed home. He drove the kids and me to the doctor and dropped me off. She decided I probably had Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. It's basically a disturbance in the inner ear. A calcium deposit broke off in one of my semicircular canals causing nausea, vomiting, hearing loss, a loss of balance, and a spinning sensation. Crazy. I was told to take some Claritan-D and was given a set of exercises to do three times a day.


I spent the rest of the evening lying around while Dustin was on diaper duty. After taking the medicine, doing my exercises, and getting a good night's sleep, I feel better. I am not back to 100%, but I would say it's a good 80%. It's always something around here...

1 comment:

Jessica said...

that is the craziest thing!! But glad you are okay, how scary! Hope you start feeling 100% again soon.