Thursday, July 29, 2010

First Professional Haircut

As you all know, Southern got his first haircut at home on Good Friday. While I think we did a pretty good job at it, it was shorter than I wanted. And it was hard to do! I have been cutting Dustin's hair with a buzzer and scissors for a few years now, but he holds still. Southern doesn't. So I decided we should go to a professional this time. I found this really cool place for kids - ironically named Cool Cuts 4 Kids - where they have video games and toys, and the younger ones can get their hair cut in a fire truck or a car. Very fun! We drove on over to the Forum and stopped at the store.

Once inside, we were greeted and told to sign in. They didn't have prices listed on their website, but I assumed it would be about $10-15. Well, we now saw that they were $18. That's more than we pay for my haircuts! Oh well, we'll deal with it. There were 3 kids in line in front of us with 2 people working so it would be a bit of a wait. Okay, we'll deal with the wait too. There were video game stations (that Daddy played with), some stuffed animals, a train track, and blocks (all that Southern played with). So we played... and played... and played...

One hour later, we still don't have a haircut. One lady had just finished up with a customer, checked them out, sold them some hair gel, and was cleaning up her station. We're up next, right? WRONG! She then clocks out and walks to the break room. That's it. Dustin's had it. No one had talked to us for over an hour, and then she just walks off. He proclaimed the haircut cancelled. Luckily, I had noticed a Super Cuts in the same strip of shops as the one we were in. So we walked over there and were told our wait would only be a few minutes.It wasn't as kid friendly, but oh well. We were getting that haircut no matter what now!

She calls our name and asks if we would like to hold Southern or if he will sit on his own. We said just to try whatever was best for her. So she plops a cushion down on the chair, and we sit Southern on top of it. She whips out a kid-sized cape, and off we go.

She put it around Southern, and he starts snuggling with it! I guess he thought it was a blanket.


Then she brings out the comb and squirt bottle. Southern didn't know what to think!



But she squirts and combs, and he is doing fine.



Daddy had to help hold his head while she cut around the ears so he wouldn't move.



Still holding while she trims around the ears...



And then he gives Dustin a look as if to say, alright Dad, that's enough. I'm a big boy.




So Dustin lets go and Southern is just sitting like a pro, getting his hair cut so calmly.








But then he starts to get squirmy. Daddy distracts him by pointing out the different animals on his cape.

That worked for a little while. Then that was it! Southern started crying and wiggling. I had to sit down and hold him on my lap with his head up against my shoulder and Dustin holding his arms as she finished the last few snips. It was nap time, and he was letting us know it!


We got him out of there and into the car where he soon fell asleep. At least his hair looks good now!! And lesson learned... just go to the cheap place first next time!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That's insane that yall had to wait that long and then end up going somewhere else.

I would be worn out too Southern!